Also known as the McGill Ghetto. This is a great walk, bordering on McGill University, you will see great townhouses from the late 19th century. A large part of the neighbourhood was lost to the massive development of modern condos, office and retail space in early 1970’s. The intense protests stopped furthur development and led to the largest housing co-op in North America.
Milton-Park is bordered on the north by Pine Avenue, to the south by Sherbrooke Street West, to the west by University Street and to the east by Boulevard Saint-Laurent. Although there are many students living here, there are even more families, urban professionals and long time residents.
There are many buildings with history and charm here, being built between 1875 and 1900, we are only naming a few points – there is so much more!. When here, walk up and down each street and don’t miss a thing.
The old First Presbyterian Church (1910)
At the corner of Jeanne-Mance and Prince Arthur Streets, it is now a condo development.
St. John’s Lutheran Church (1853) at the corner of Jeanne-Mance and Prince Arthur Streets
Park Avenue – looking north.
Some Victorian graystones on left that survived the massive development of La Cite at the top.
Frank Hugh Mckenna House (1891) – 385 Milton Street
James Harper House (1897) – 481 Prince Arthur Street (brown house)
The Word – started as an underground bookstore in 1975
Housed in a 19th century brick building at 469 Milton Street
Marlborough Apartments (1900) – 570 Milton Street
Designated an historic site
The San Remo Apartments (1905) – 3535 Durocher Avenue
Frank Fairleigh Parkins House (1887) – 3492 Durocher Avenue
Back to Top
website and images © www.walkmontreal.com