Saint-Henri is historically French-Canadian and Irish, with Canadian black - all working class. It's history goes back to the mid 1600's. This bustling neighbourhood is a great walk, and you will witness the working class atmosphere colliding with today's gentrification. Saint-Henri is bordered to the north by the Ville Marie Expressway (autoroute 720), to the south by the Lachine canal, to the east by Atwater Avenue and to the west by autoroute 15.
We started at the corner of Notre Dame and Atwater Streets. We took at quick look at the Corona Theatre (built 1912) at 2490 Notre Dame West, in Little Burgundy. We walked back west and stopped for breakfast at Greenspot at 3041 Notre Dame West. This restaurant has been around for over 70 years. Walking west on Notre Dame Street we ran into some old buildings, went to find the Louis Cyr statue, visited Place Saint Henri, Saint Henri Square and Sir George Etienne Cartier Square.
Below images show some of the highlights of this great walk, but, there is so much more.
Corona Theatre (1912) - 2490 Notre Dame West
St. Irenee Church (1912) - 3030 Delisle Street, corner Atwater
Notre Dame Street - looking west
Old Notre Dame Library (1898) - 4700 Notre Dame Street
Louis Cyr statue - intersection of Saint Jacques and Saint Antoine
Fire Station No. 23 (1930) - 523 Place Saint Henri
Old Post Office ( 1893) - 540 Place Saint Henri
Saint Henri Square (1890)
Bordered by Saint Antoine Street West ,Agnes Street, Place Guay and Laporte Avenue
Sir George Etienne Cartier Square (1912)
Bordered by Notre Dame Street West ,Saint Emillie, Rue George Etienne Cartier Square
Saint Zotique Church (1926) - 4565 Notre Danme Street
Sainte Cunegonde Church (1906) - 2461 Saint Jacques Street
Molson Bank (1905) - 5001-5011 Notre Dame Street
The wedge house believed to be portrayed in The Tin Flute, by Gabrielle Roy
Corner of Saint Augustin and Saint Ambroise (Westmount seen in distance)
Back to Top
website and images © 2018 www.walkmontreal.com