This is a stunning and groovy walk. Plan for 3 hours. We began at Jeanne Mance Park and then went for a quick breakfast at Beauty's Restaurant (since 1942 at 93 Mont-Royal Avenue West). From there we hit Saint Laurent Blvd heading north to Eglise Saint Enfant Jesus du Mile End (built in 1857) at 5037 St Dominique Street. Then made our way to Rue de Grand Pre (corner of Drolet); to see a row of spectacular homes from the early 1900's.
We then headed south to see Eglise Saint Jean Baptiste at 4237 Henri Julien Avenue (built in 1898 - 1903), then headed west to Rue Vallieres to see Leonard Cohens's old home, right across from Parc du Portugal. Head back south on Boulevard Saint Laurent, check out the shops and cafes and you will run straight into Schwartz's Deli (home of the famous smoked meat since 1928 at 3895 St Laurent Blvd).
We went as far as Pine Avenue and then headed west to Jeanne Mance Park on the slopes of Mount Royal.
There is a lot to do and a lot to see....these are just some main points that we visited. There is the old Academie du Boulevard (1911) at 155 St. Joseph Boulevard East, the old Fire Station No.14 (1912) at 4247 Saint-Dominique Street and the old Schubert Public Bath (1931)at 3950 Saint Laurent Boulevard.
Jeanne Mance Park (originally called Fletcher's Field, and traces its origins to 1878)
Beauty's Restaurant (since 1942)
Eglise Saint Enfant Jesus du Mile End (1857)
Academie du Boulevard(1911)
Rue de Grand-Pre
Eglise Saint Jean Baptiste (1898)
Old fire station No. 14 (1912)
Corner of Saint-Dominique and Vallieres Streets
Parc du Portugal (on Saint Laurent between Marie-Anne and Vallieres Street)
Leonard Cohen's old home on Vallieres Street, across from Portugal Park (graystone house)
Schwartz's Deli (since 1928)
Schubert Bath (1931)
St. Laurent Boulevard looking north
a.k.a. "The Main". It divides the city's east and west and is listed as an historic site.
Back to Top
website and images © 2018 www.walkmontreal.com